Custodian/Pool Service - Residential
Location: Sioux City
Posted on: June 14, 2019
SummaryTo perform all custodial and pool upkeep duties in a
professional manner and on a timely basis. While the following
information should be considered a comprehensive description of
this position, it should also be noted that some responsibilities
and duties may not be specifically addressed. IRET emphasizes a
team approach and fully expects every person to perform any
reasonable task or request that is consistent with fulfilling
company objectives.ExpectationsExpected to follow instructions,
understand established procedures and comply with deadlines.
Generally given substantial guidance, but expected to be self
directed once trained. May need assistance in prioritizing duties,
and setting deadlines.Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesmay
include the following. Employee may be assigned to specific areas,
or any combination of areas, such as unit turnover, general areas
or common areas, either as scheduled or as needed. Assigned areas
will be determined on a property by property basis.Pool Duties
- Responsible for ensuring that the pool area is opened and
- Check pools for dirt and debris on a routine basis.
- Ensure that pool water levels are maintained
- Maintain and update the pool log book 4 times per day on
Saturdays and Sundays.
- Check the pH and chlorine levels in the pools on a routine
- Responsible for the care, maintenance, and inventory of all
necessary pool cleaning products, supplies, and equipment used at
the properties.Custodial Duties
- Perform light cleaning, and refilling of necessary supplies
daily or as scheduled. Duties include, but are not limited to:
sweeping; mopping; cleaning floors; emptying wastebaskets; dusting
and wiping all surfaces; cleaning ovens, microwaves, stove tops,
and kitchen hoods; cleaning and disinfecting bathrooms, showers,
and bathtubs; cleaning kitchens and pantries, including all shelves
and/or drawers; cleaning appliances, including the exterior surface
and also inside drum; sweeping and cleaning fireplace hearths;
cleaning windows, mini-blinds, and mirrors; sweeping and cleaning
balconies and patios; sweeping areas directly outside unit
entrances; cleaning or replacing filters; refilling all disposable
items as necessary, including paper towels and toilet paper.
- Complete apartment unit cleaning to make unit ready in a timely
fashion as set forth by regional and on-site
- Answers incoming telephone calls, determines purpose of
callers, and forwards calls to appropriate personnel or
- Takes and delivers messages or transfers calls to voicemail
when appropriate personnel are unavailable.
- Answers questions about organization and provides callers with
address, directions, and other information.
- Welcomes on-site visitors, determines nature of business, and
announces visitors to appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for distributing network faxes via email as they
- Assist with data entry as assignedOther
- Responsible for the cleaning and upkeep of all interior and
exterior areas and aspects of the property.
- Responsible for reporting unusual or extraordinary
circumstances regarding the property or residents.
- Be aware of IRET goals relative to resident satisfaction and
resident retention, and ensure that you do your part towards
- Inform supervisor when cleaning supplies are needed. Maintains
cleaning supplies and requests re-ordering of those supplies in a
timely manner. Ensures the proper use of these supplies.
- Maintain proper stock amounts within budget restraints; keeps
all MSDS sheets in order, and chemicals properly labeled.
- Be aware of and operate within OSHA (Occupational Safety&
Health Act) standards and company safety policies at all
- Carry out all tasks as directed by his/her supervisor.Back up
for this position is provided by other custodial staff, maintenance
staff, or a third party contractor when
necessary.AuthorizationsNone.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesThis job
has no supervisory responsibilities.Equipment IssuedEquipment
includes, but is not limited to, vacuum, cleaning chemicals, broom,
mop, bucket, sponges, protective gloves, Material Safety Data
Sheets (MSDS), and book.Community InvolvementEncouraged to belong
to and/or serve on committees of local service clubs, charitable
giving programs, merchant associations, Chamber of Commerce, or
other business networking groups. Encouraged to participate in
service projects, and to establish and maintain contacts within the
community to promote IRET.CompetenciesTo perform this job
successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures,
determines appropriate action beyond guidelines, reports
potentially unsafe conditions, uses equipment and materials
properly. Wear back support belt during work hours when needed, and
use safety equipment (goggles, mask, gloves, etc.) as tasks
- Custodial Skills- Ability to tell the difference between clean
and unclean, uses proper methods, materials and equipment in
cleaning and keeping the buildings and/or equipment neat and
- Customer Service Orientation- When dealing with internal or
external customers - Manages difficult or emotional situations,
responds promptly to customer needs or requests, uses customer
feedback to improve service, follow through on requests for service
and assistance, meets commitments.
- Teamwork& Collaboration - Balances team and individual
responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others'
views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to building a
positive team spirit, supports everyone's efforts to succeed,
includes when appropriate and works effectively with all other
employees/departments to accomplish company goals.
- Organizational Support
- Respect& Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy,
shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences, promotes a
harassment-free environment, embraces differences and utilizes
those differences to the company's benefit.
- Ethics& Integrity - Treats people with respect, keeps
commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and
ethically, upholds organizational values, maintains
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts
well under pressure, Treats others with respect and consideration
regardless of their status or position, keeps emotions under
control, focuses on resolving conflict not blaming, maintains
confidentiality, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows
through on commitments. Represents a professional image of IRET in
conduct and adherence to dress code requirements.
- Organizational Support - Completes tasks correctly and on time,
supports organization's goals and values, demonstrates accuracy and
thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality
- Personal Responsibility
- Responsibility- Know and adhere to all federal, state, and/or
local laws as well as company policies and procedures contained in
the manuals, handbooks and training provided by IRET or as
otherwise communicated (verbally or in writing) to employees.
- Resourcefulness- Understands how to get results and where to
find answers to problems.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment,
manages competing demands, changes approach or method to best fit
the situation, able to deal with frequent change, delays, or
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time,
ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent, arrives at
meetings and appointments on time.QualificationsTo perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience- No education requirements.
Custodial experience helpful.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations- Requirements vary by
- Driving Requirements-Valid driver's license is required if
assigned to multiple properties.
- Language Skills- Ability to read and interpret documents such
as safety rules, MSDS sheets, basic maintenance instructions, and
procedural manuals. Ability to understand and communicate with
supervisor and tenants.
- Mathematical Skills- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide. Calculate figures and amounts such as proportions,
percentages, area, ratios, circumference, and volume as it relates
to appropriate amounts of cleaning solutions to the areas needing
to be cleaned.
- Reasoning Ability- Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills-Ability to efficiently use and navigate on the
internet and use web based timekeeping software.
- Physical Demands-While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required:
- Constantly (66-100% of the time) - to be on feet, stand, walk;
climb stairs; bend, stoop, crawl, crouch, squat, kneel; use hands
and fingers to grasp, grip, turn and feel; reach above shoulders,
push, pull, lift and carry; operate cleaning equipment such as
vacuums and mops; and talk and hear or effectively and safely
communicate. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust
focus. Employee must be able to visually determine the difference
between clean and unclean. Lift up to 10 pounds.
- Frequently (33-66% of the time) -lift and/or move 10 - 25
pounds; climb ladders and balance.
- Occasionally (1-33% of the time) -lift and/or move more than 25
pounds, although usually with the assistance of another employee
- Work Environment-While performing the duties of this job, the
- Constantly (66-100% of the time)-work indoors with moderate
- Frequently (33-66% of the time) - exposed to moving mechanical
parts; fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
Work in awkward or confining positions such as under sinks, in
bathtubs or cleaning oven.
- Occasionally (1-33% of the time)- exposed to outside weather
conditions; wet and/or humid conditions, and slight risk of
electrical shock.IRET is an Equal Opportunity
disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Keywords: IRET, Sioux City , Custodian/Pool Service - Residential, Other , Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!