Company: Michael Foods
Posted on: September 19, 2023
Business Unit Overview
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and
distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated
grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities
throughout our organization where you can enhance your career,
sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be
part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Wakefield is one of the largest production facilities within
Michael Foods. We serve as a flex plant and are able to produce
everything from a whole pasteurized egg to liquid, dried,
hardboiled and curds.
POSITION SUMMARY: Vat Room Operators are responsible for verifying
ingredients, mixing product and collecting product samples for
testing. S/he accurately document and report data. Operators load
and unload tankers and are responsible for keeping machines running
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work
rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as
a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities,
related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with
uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs moisture testing as directed and keeps dryer operator
informed of any and all changes.
- Pulls product samples for moisture, chem lab and micro
- Operates and oversees densifier equipment.
- Operates forklift and pallet jack.
- Responsible for confirming and verifying final weights of
- Responsible for proper sealing and labeling of finished product
- Stacks finished product on pallets.
- Assists dryer operator with dryer sanitation.
- Assists and communicates with dryer operator to maintain proper
finished goods moistures.
- Maintains all required documentation. (Ex: moisture chart,
metal detector, sifter checks, SAP tag logs, etc.)
- Responsible for minor adjustments of equipment and
troubleshooting equipment problems.
- Maintains cleanliness of all production package areas, i.e.,
bulk loading bay, tote scale, bag packaging, etc.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness/sanitation of all
- Runs the standard procedures for solids, color, and pH for
eggstreme and Tec Whites.
- Calculates and completes batch records using squares.
- Performs and verifies mixing procedures and ingredients that
may include salt yolk, weight, and mix egg recipes.
- Demonstrates an understanding of USDA loading and unloading
procedures (of tankers), including the documentation for cage free
- Demonstrates an understanding of the OvaMay system for the
sequencing flow of plates and start up and shut down operations and
- Understands how to tear down, rebuild, and hook up various
lines, C-pumps, positives-pumps and centrifugal-pumps.
- Understands how to start up, shut down, and operate all three
- Must time and check the temperature of all products for
- Follows proper SOP's (Standard Operation Procedures)
- Adhere to safe work practices, follow GMP's, maintain sanitary
conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to
management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect
food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Able to work weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
- Assumes personal responsibility to insure safe and healthy
workplace for everyone. Adhere to all safety policies and
procedures and, incorporate safety and health in all jobs and
- Insures regulatory compliance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or
equivalent.PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to load and unload egg and material trailers.
- Prior manufacturing experience preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot minor mechanical issues.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a company forklift and
pallet jack license. Experience with pallet jack and/or forklift
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals in
English. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to speak effectively before groups, customers/vendors or
employees of the organization.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply
and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations
using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, and diagram or schedule form.
- Must demonstrate open and honest communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain positive interpersonal
relationships and work effectively with others to complete work
- Able to safely lift and carry 50lbs.
- Able to work independently or with others in a team environment
depending upon the assignment.
- Self-motivated while also willing to ask questions and seek
- Displays responsible behavior at work.
- Open to change.
- Ability to work in cold, wet, noisy, dusty and humid
- Ability to work around required cleaning solutions.
- Possesses good hand-eye coordination.
- Able to stand on hard surface most of the shift, ascend and
descend stairs, bend, stoop or crouch, grasp and reach. Michael
Foods provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability,
genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran
and any other category protected under applicable federal, state,
provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Michael Foods, Sioux City , Operator, Other , Wakefield, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!