Sow Farm Animal Caretaker
Company: Iowa Select Farms
Posted on: January 16, 2022
TITLE: Sow Farm Animal CaretakerREPORTS TO: Sow Farm Department
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work as a team member caring for and
administering to sows and piglets to assure optimum productivity.
This person will assist where needed working with animals and light
facility repair and maintenance.
- Adhere to ISF bio-security policy at all times and report to
management team any violation.
- Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times and know
reporting procedures when incident occurs.
- Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wear
appropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work
in a safe manner.
- The 3 key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via
audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the
entire farm which also impacts incentive payouts.
- Care and management of animals to ensure that:
- Animals are properly fed.
- Water is available.
- Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are
- Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
- Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to
identify when it is needed.
- Care and management of facilities to ensure that:
- Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working
- Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper
- Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and
- Maintain accurate records using ISF forms and protocols.
- Procure, administer and dispense medications and vaccinations
according to ISF protocols.
- Perform heat detection, artificial insemination and pregnancy
- Monitor and assist in the farrowing process.
- Process, vaccinate and castrate piglets at appropriate
- Proper handling of chemicals (storage and application).
- Setting litters to ISF protocols.
- Wean pigs according to farm protocols.
- Follow dead removal protocols and ensure safety and biosecurity
procedures are being followed.
- Move animals (sows, boars and piglets) using safe handling
- Provide feedback to department heads and farm manager.
- Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
- Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal
- Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be
ready to walk into barns by start time given.
- Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to
co-workers and management team.
- Flexibility in hours during health and staffing challenges is
required.Education/ Experience: None required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:This person must be motivated and be able to
follow directions and complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must
have initiative, organization, and dependability. Physical
requirements include the ability to lift up to 40 pounds and to
climb over gates up to 48 inches in height as well as pushing,
pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this
job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use
hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or
animals. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands
and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
This position requires the employee to work closely with managers,
supervisors, production staff and other employees, so teamwork and
effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact
with animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security
practices must be understood and practiced at all times. The
employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, work in
all facilities within the requirements of this job description.
Keywords: Iowa Select Farms, Sioux City , Sow Farm Animal Caretaker, Other , Ewing, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!