Your best life. Our one purpose.
At MercyOne Siouxland, we understand that elevating
patient-centered care comes from the efforts of all colleagues. We
imagine and embrace bold new ideas to revolutionize health
What we offer:
We care about your wellbeing, both physical and mental, which is
why our benefit package includes:
- Wellness programs
- Education reimbursement
- Personalized health insurance plans including dental and
- Paid time off
- Long- and short-term leave
- Retirement planning
- Life insurance coverage
About the job:
Under limited supervision, performs various clinical laboratory
procedures. To meet department needs, may be assigned to a
particular laboratory section(s) or to a position as a generalist
working in all sections
What you will do:
- Is proficient in computer operation and LIS procedures.
Demonstrates general working knowledge of computers and department
specific software (i.e. PathNet, PowerChart, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Lawson Supply Chain, etc.).
- Notifies appropriate personnel of unusual problems such as
unacceptable specimens, equipment malfunctions and quality control
aberrations, in accordance with section policy or procedure.
- Is skilled in Specimen Acquisition, to include Arterial
- Follows protocol related to Critical Values, Delta Checks, or
reporting notations. Contacts appropriate healthcare
providers/personnel with regard to results and for clarification of
requests or other routine problems regarding specimens and/or test
- Recognizes and communicates issues/occurrences utilizing
established lines of authority, and assists in identifying ways to
resolve variances or unacceptable outcomes.
- Calibrates and operates laboratory equipment used in
performance of the tests pertinent to the section to which
assigned. Is competent to calibrate instruments and perform
correlation studies on new lots of reagents.
- Prepares standards, reagents and other materials used in
- Participates in CAP Proficiency Testing.
- Complies with Safety and Infection Control Policies and
- Wears appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working
with Bio-hazardous materials. Maintains a clean, safe work
environment at all times.
- Adheres to Laboratory Safety P&P for related to spills
- Is knowledgeable of and actively participates in improving
patient safety and reducing risk to patients.
- Participates in departmental Performance Improvement, Quality
Assurance, and Continuing Education initiatives.
- Actively participates in department meetings, committees,
conferences, and in services.
- Strives to be a good steward of reagents, supplies, and
- Consistently demonstrates service excellence and team building
- Actively participates in the training, orientation, and
education of staff and students.
- Is able to direct a code, when applicable to assigned
- Assists LIS Coordinator with design and validation of new
and/or revised test development in the laboratory information
- Is capable of troubleshooting routine instrument problems and
contacting technical support to resolve issues.
What we are looking for:
- BA or BS degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Medical
Technology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or
health-related science. Ongoing education, training and
certification may be required to meet prevailing regulatory
- MT (ASCP) or CLS (NCA) certification or certification eligible
- Must meet CLIA 493.1489 standards for high complexity
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication
skills and communicate effectively with all members of the
- Must have general working knowledge of computers and department
specific software (i.e. Word, Excel, Cerner PathNet and Powerchart,
Lawson Supply Chain, HealthStream, etc).
- Must be detailed oriented, able to prioritize and perform under
- Shows initiative, takes/owns responsibility, displays
effective/independent problem solving skills.
- Required to complete twelve (12) hours of laboratory related
continued education annually.
- Must be able to demonstrate competency, at least annually,
through performance of proficiency testing, direct observation by
peers and/or superiors, written exam or any other method devised or
utilized by this organization to document competency
- Associate degree, certification or college degree required. MLT
(ASCP) or CLT (NCA) certification or certification eligible
preferred. In lieu of certification, would consider a minimum of
two years of college with science courses (two years of related
hospital experience would be considered the equivalent of one year
of college). A specific related accredited course in a clinical
laboratory would be equivalent to one year of college.
- Must meet CLIA 493.1489 standards for high complexity
- Requires completion of twelve (12) hours of laboratory related
continuing education annually.
- Is able to communicate effectively with all members of the
health care team. Is able to perform a variety of duties
characterized by frequent change.
Why MercyOne Siouxland?
MercyOne Siouxland Medical Center is a 238-bed regional center
that provides residents in a 33-county tri-state region an entire
continuum of preventive, primary, acute and tertiary healthcare
services. MercyOne Siouxland Medical Center is home to the only
Level II trauma center in western Iowa - one of only four trauma
care facilities in the state to receive verification from the
American College of Surgeons - and MercyOne Air Med, a regional
helicopter ambulance service.
About MercyOne and Trinity Health
We are MercyOne: a connected system of health care facilities
and services dedicated to helping you and your community live your
More than 20,000 colleagues strong, our care providers and staff
make your health and happiness their highest priority, so you can
get well-and stay well. With 420 care locations, our clinics,
medical centers and affiliates are never too far from home,
allowing us to improve the lives of individuals and communities
across the state of Iowa and beyond.
MercyOne Siouxland is a proud member of Trinity Health, one of
the nation's largest Catholic healthcare delivery systems, our
network spans 22 states, 94 hospitals and 133,000 colleagues
The tri-state region, referred to as Siouxland, is highlighted
by safe and friendly communities, excellent schools and a mix of
peaceful rural areas and vibrant city atmosphere where Iowa,
Nebraska and South Dakota meet at the Missouri River.
Situated in the heart of Downtown Sioux City, MercyOne Siouxland
Medical Center is also well positioned for urban living in any of
the newly renovated apartment, downtown loft, or townhome living
options. The downtown also features a historic district with
excellent restaurants and social spots and you'll just be steps
away from the beautifully-renovated Warrior Hotel for dinner and
the gorgeous Orpheum Theatre for entertainment.
The MercyOne Mission Defines Us:
MercyOne serves with fidelity to the Gospel as a compassionate,
healing ministry of Jesus Christ to transform the health of our
Our timeless values guide us:
- Commitment to the Poor
MercyOne Cultural Beliefs Direct Us:
- Be ONE: I benefit from and strengthen MercyOne.
- Personalize Care: Your experience. My responsibility.
- Own It!: I own my actions to deliver our key results.
- Improve Daily: I make improvements every day for those we serve
including each other.
- Innovate: I imagine and embrace bold new ideas to revolutionize
MercyOne Siouxland and all its affiliates are proud to be equal
opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race,
gender, religion, physical disability or any other classification
protected under local, state or federal law.
Trinity Health's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health employs about 133,000 colleagues at dozens of
hospitals and hundreds of health centers in 22 states. Because we
serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize
the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and
health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that
knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize
that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our
world and that these differences often lead to innovative
Trinity Health's dedication to diversity includes a unified
workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention
and development), commitment and accountability, communication,
community partnerships, and supplier diversity.