Job Title: Courtesy Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 01/2014
General Function :
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service.
Packages purchases and assists customers with delivery to their
mode of transportation.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director;
Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Managers of
Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Assistant
Managers; 2nd Assistant Managers
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them
by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
escorting them to the products they're looking for
securing products that are out of reach
loading or unloading heavy items
making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful
service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer
satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Packages purchases.
8. Cleans but not limited to registers, restrooms, break room;
backroom, sweeps and mops the floor, and tends to supply needs.
9. Assists customer in transporting purchases to their mode of
10. Helps train new courtesy clerks.
11. Checks prices on products.
12. Pulls product forward on shelf.
13. Brings carts in from parking lot and cart corral.
14. Cleans can redemption area and empties the recycle bins,
15. Stocks, faces, rotates merchandise, cleans shelves,
understands shelf tags, and knows location of merchandise in the
store and also in the back room.
16. Maintains supplies on front-end; i.e. paper/plastic sacks,
receipt paper, etc.
17. Maintains strict adherence to department and company
guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
18. Adheres to company policies and individual store
19. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in all departments as requested (within the wage and
2. Delivers product to customers (within the wage and hour
3. Shovels, salts, and sands walkways.
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
5. Performs other job related duties and special projects as
Education and Experience:
No education or experience requirements.
Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force
occasionally; exert up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and exert
up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision, and field of vision.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved
written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete
Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures,
counting and recording.
Must be able to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated
instructions; writes identifying information request supplies
orally or in writing, increased contact with people.
Working Conditions :
This position is exposed to noise, temperature extremes,
dampness, dirt, and chemicals/solvents.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Tomra (bottle machines), window washing equipment, vacuum
cleaner, power washer, brooms, delivery vehicle, phone, fax,
copier, two wheeler, pallet jack, box cutter (within wage and hour
Has daily contact with the general public and occasional contact