Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Report to: CFO
Location: Des Moines, IA
FLSA Status: Full-Time / Exempt
Updated: April 2021
Baker Electric, Inc. has served the electrical needs of Des
Moines and Central Iowa since 1946. We perform all types of
electrical work including commercial, industrial, residential,
voice/data cabling, traffic signalization and underground
installations. Our management staff and team of over 360 skilled
electricians and technicians are dedicated to providing our clients
with quality electrical installations with a focus on customer
The primary function of this role is to manage the development
of employees while complying with all federal, state and local laws
pertaining to employment. This position will be responsible for HR
duties related to current employees, bargaining and non-bargaining,
and matters related to their continuing employment with the
Company. This position will also be responsible for the
administration of Human Resource policies and procedures to ensure
Company is in compliance with all of EMCOR's employee policies and
procedures, as well as Federal, State and local requirements.
Effectively supporting the Executive Management Team, EMCOR
Corporate and EMCOR Construction Services (ECS) HR. The successful
candidate will demonstrate a willingness to perform needed entry
level to advanced HR responsibilities to provide the needed HR
support for the Company.
This job requires a high energy level with a focus towards
administration, compliance, analysis, and customer service. It may
require infrequent travel to project sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports Executive Team with providing guidance on employment
laws, human resources practices, and related workforce issues that
could impact business continuity or operations.
- Administration of Company policies and procedures.
- Maintains hiring, discipline, and termination practices in
compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations
including but not limited to EEOC and OFCCP compliance.
- Posts job using company approved system (UltiPro) and works
with hiring managers to ensure qualified candidates are hired using
legally compliant methods.
- Creates compliant annual Affirmative Action Plan, EEO-1 Reports
and related Federal or State reports.
- Develops and maintains recruiting, succession and development
plans for Company.
- Presents company required HR related training, as needed,
and/or ensures training compliance
- Manage any HR related audits, complaints, or employee relations
- Coordinates new hire requests, interviewing process,
pre-employment screening and new hire documentation for bargaining
and non-bargaining in compliance with all state and federal
- Responsible for ongoing compliance of maintaining employee
files and associated records in accordance with all state and
- Partners with Payroll Manager to ensure timely and accurate
reporting of all weekly employee related deductions to Corporate
Benefits in UltiPro.
- Manpower reporting as needed to assist operations.
- Responsible for preventing and, as needed, effectively
resolving employee conflicts and processing terminations in
compliance with any relevant state laws or regulations.
- Partners with Payroll Manager to manage Benefit
(Medical/Dental/Life/FSA) enrollments, changes and billing as
required in accordance with any applicable corporate deadlines and
- Partners with Payroll Manager to facilitate with corporate 401K
and Employee Stock Purchas Plan (ESPP) enrollments, changes,
updates as required with any applicable deadlines and
- Effectively work with General Superintendent on union employee
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- A Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or a related field
required from an accredited College or University. Master's Degree
in Human Resources Management or related field from an accredited
College or University a plus.
- Approximately 8 years progressive experience in human resources
required, Experience must include direct recruiting, employee
relations, benefits administration, and HR compliance
responsibilities. Experience must include leave administration and
- Experience in effectively providing proactive insights and
guidance to senior leadership team.
- Experience with on & off boarding union employees,
- Must demonstrate knowledge of Federal, State, and local
employment laws and regulations.
- Experience with coordinating Worker's Compensation with State
and Federal FMLA and ADA requirements.
- Demonstrated experience assisting company leadership in
performance management, and safety practices and possess the
ability to apply this information in a manner that is compliant
with relevant employment law.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining confidence in all
sensitive matters (i.e., employee relations, pay, etc.).
- Human Resource experience in the construction industry and/or
unions a plus.
- PHR certification a plus.
REQUIRED ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Ability to operate in the various online HR portals required by
Continuing education to remain current on HR rules and
regulations and/or certifications (i.e., PHR or SPHR through HRCI
or Society of HR Management SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP, etc.)
Must be people oriented and results driven.
Must think strategically, make sound decisions, and produce
accurate and timely results.
Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels
of employee and management.
Must demonstrate integrity, adherence to confidentiality and
Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
Must possess excellent written and verbal communications
Must prioritize in a fast-paced, multi-task environment.
Must work with minimal supervision.
Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team
Must comply with all operating policies, procedures, executed
plans and programs.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Exhibit willingness to learn and improve
Develop and drive new processes and procedures to improve
efficiency through software and process improvement.
Must be well-organized, friendly, polite, respectful, and be
able to deal with a constantly changing environment.
Contain great people skills while being a self-starter with a
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk and hear; move within the office to
retrieve files and meet with employees in their offices or
Able to work at a computer (reading and keying) for extended
periods of time.
This role requires communicating verbally and in writing one on
one, in small groups, as well as presenting to larger groups of
Infrequently required to travel by car (as a passenger or
driver) or by airplane.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the
ongoing needs of the organization.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive
benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the
talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth
and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled