Woodbury County Assistant County Attorney (CRIMINAL Division)
Company: Woodbury County Courthouse
Location: Sioux City
Posted on: February 10, 2019
Woodbury County Assistant County Attorney (CRIMINAL Division) Sioux City, IA
Salary Range: $58,543 - $67,703/year based on experience, + benefits.
Responsible and accountable for the efficient and effective prosecution of criminal violators of State laws in Woodbury County, Iowa; including case preparation and presentation, preliminary hearings, court and Grand Jury appearances, and related reports, briefs, or other legal preparation; in accordance with proper court and legal procedures; under the direct authority of the County Attorney.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:The following duties are typical for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Prosecuting attorney representing the State of Iowa, Woodbury County, and the Woodbury County Attorney in the professional, aggressive and ethical handling of assigned cases and investigations.
- Possess good knowledge of the general principles of criminal and civil law, of relevant Iowa Code sections, of the Iowa Rules of Evidence, Criminal Procedure, and Civil Procedure, the Iowa Code of Professional Responsibility or Lawyers, and Federal and Iowa constitutional law principles relating to criminal procedure and criminal law
- Adequate knowledge of the principles of civil law and of the methods and practices of pleading
- Reviews police reports and interviews police officers or other Informational sources to decided if charges should be filed in relation to a particular offense
- Appears in District, Juvenile, and Magistrate Courts throughout Woodbury County, for arraignments, hearings on various motions, jury selection, trying cases, and on other matters relative to assigned scope of responsibility; as directed by the County Attorney
- Researches, prepares and tries cases for offenses occurring in Woodbury County including attendance at depositions
- Represents the Department of Social Services, Civil Service, and Zoning Commissions, or other County agencies in court cases as required
- Performs with excellence all attorney functions in assigned cases, including all phases of trials, hearing, depositions, investigatory evidence-gathering procedures, and other proceedings
- Ability to make appropriate charging and other decisions; exercises good judgment in the disposition of cases consistent with justice, public safety, the well-being of victims and applicable law
- Prepares and files court documents and pleadings; performs excellent legal research; competently evaluates evidence
- Interviews witnesses and evaluates witness demeanor and credibility
- Assists law enforcement officers in criminal investigations
- Communicates effectively; gives after-hours advice by telephone to law enforcement officer
- Counsels and advises County officials on legal problems relating to points of law or questions of legal procedure with respect to official government duties
- Researches legal questions presented by other County officials or by the County Attorney
- Assists all professional and support staff as needed.
- Performs various other duties relating to scope of responsibility as assigned by the County Attorney
- Attendance is required
Minimum Education and Experience Required to Perform the Essential Functions:
- Must be of good moral character and fitness and (a) be licensed by the Iowa Supreme Court to practice law in the State of Iowa or (b) have received the degree of J.D. or LL.B, from a law school fully approved by the A.B.A., and take and pass the next available Iowa Bar Exam and Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam and immediately thereupon be admitted to practice law in the State of Iowa or (c) be eligible for admission to the practice of law in Iowa pursuant to Iowa Court Rule 111 and be admitted to practice law in Iowa pursuant to the rule within 120 days of appointment as an Assistant County Attorney.
- Keeps current on trends, developments, and changing law within the State of Iowa to assure proper administration of justice within the County
- Must be an effective advocate and communicator and possess keen analytical skills; have empathy for crime victims and citizens
- Professional in appearance and demeanor
- Can work well with others and treat others with respect, patience and dignity
- Candidate for hire must successfully pass a background check, physical examination, vision, back screen and drug screen prior to employment
A completed County application and resume are required.
Deadline: Open Until Filled
E O E
Keywords: Woodbury County Courthouse, Sioux City , Woodbury County Assistant County Attorney (CRIMINAL Division), Legal , Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!