STORE MANAGER CANDIDATE
Company: Dollar General Corporation
Location: Sioux City
Posted on: April 17, 2019
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than
15,000 retail locations in 44 states, 15 distribution centers and
130,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each
and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces
innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers
and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar
General, employees have numerous growth and development career
opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one
of Americas fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and lets grow
This position exists primarily for the purpose of developing
internal store manager bench from the assistant store manager
population, although external candidates will also be in the
program. It is a position to be used to give store manager
candidates more experience prior to becoming a store manager, and
is to be held for a specified period.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in recruiting and staffing activities.
- Assist with store merchandising by facilitating and/or
participating in staging, stocking and storage of merchandise;
ensuring that merchandise is presented according to established
practices and store manager direction; and properly utilizing
merchandise fixtures, signing and pricing of merchandise.
- Assist in all aspects of inventory management (including proper
execution of damages, markdowns, register scanning, paperwork and
facility controls); prepare and conduct inventories.
- Follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or
exceeding of in-stock targets.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Act as a role model by following company procedures and
policies as outlined in the employee handbook, SOP manual and
- Participate in store opening and closing activities.
- Ensure the safe deposit of all company funds in the designated
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through
strict cashier accountability, key control and adherence to company
security practices and cash control procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of clean, well-stocked stores;
provide a safe environment for customers and employees.
- Manage store in store managers absence.
- Review operating statements to identify business trends
(including sales, labor, profitability, and inventory turn),
expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and
- Complete all paperwork and documentation according to
guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams,
safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition,
subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier
accountability and deposit controls.
- Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions,
including those necessary to generate reports.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and
practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE and STARS programs,
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, and
termination practices including legal compliance and internal
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective organization skills with attention to
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations
where limited standardization exists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- One year of experience in a retail environment preferred for
external candidates; four months experience as a Dollar General
assistant store manager required for internal candidates.
- Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General
- Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of
- Acts as a liaison between the Store Support Center and store
- Fosters cooperation and collaboration.
- Interacts tactfully yet directly with employees and maintains
an open forum of exchange.
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer
- Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak
inventories, merchandise flow, etc.).
- Provides continuous attention to development of staff.
- Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a
- Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company
policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing.
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out
station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as
hand-held scanners pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise
containers and carts, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional
lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Occasional driving/providing own transportation to make bank
deposits, attend management meetings and to other Dollar General
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Note: This position requires some travel with limited overnight
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Dollar General Corporation, Sioux City , STORE MANAGER CANDIDATE, Executive , Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!