Executive Director of Tribal Affairs
Company: Ponca Tribe of Nebraska
Location: Sioux City
Posted on: November 23, 2021
The Executive Director of Tribal Affairs (EDTA) shall be
responsible for the day to day tribal administration and
operations. The primary responsibilities include the direct
supervision of Deputy Directors of Tribal Affairs, (DDTAs) and
maintaining and development of programs. Essential Responsibilities
- Provide direction and leadership in achieving or modifying the
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska's philosophy, mission, strategy and annual
goals and objectives.
- Report directly to the Tribal Council on designated
programmatic activities or as requested, to carry out all TC
- Direct the DDTAs in their management of the operations of
staff, program, directors, volunteers, and consultants. Confer with
DDTAs and program directors to provide advice to assist with
- Effectively manage Tribal resources within budget guidelines
according to current laws, regulations and grant or contract
- Assure the Tribe's mission: program and services are
consistently presented in a strong, positive image to Tribal
members, other Native American Tribes and the community at
- When requested, serve as liaison between the Tribe and
government agencies for the purpose of improving future funding
sources and grant funding opportunities.
- Consistently seek state and federal grant opportunities to best
meet Tribal member support needs.
- Review final drafts for changes in policies and procedures,
fiscal lines of authority, and any other governance documents.
- Oversee DDTAs in the administration of funds or records,
documentation, and reporting and compliance requirements.
- Establish partnership at all levels across department and
functional line to achieve optimum results.
- Communicate effectively with respect and demeanor as required
on all levels of management, including professional diplomacy with
the Ponca Tribal Council and State, Federal or other government
- Ensure consistent application of policies and procedures by
Tribal Affairs staff.
- Responsible for ensuring the Tribal Affairs staff are
implementing the Ponca Preference hiring policy on a consistent and
- Maintain confidentiality pertaining to all matters of Tribal
business, planning, strategy etc.
- Submit required information in timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned. Actions requiring Executive
- Procurement of up to $5,000, that is within the pre-approved
budget category limits.
- Approval of director travel, travel advances, expense reports,
leave of absence or compensatory time off and requests for LWOP.
Reviews requests to obtain legal opinions associated with Tribal
activities. Review / approve all grant proposals prior to
presentation to TC for final approval and submission (includes
budgets, job descriptions, timelines, required documentation,
- Evaluate performance of program directors annually for
compliance with established policies, position descriptions and
- Reviews and approves salary actions, promotions and
terminations of all Tribal employees. Relationships and Authority:
EDTA will oversee all Ponca Tribe of Nebraska's Tribal Affairs
division, with direct supervision of the Deputy Directors of Tribal
Affairs, and the Administrative Assistant to the EDTA Working
Environment and Physical Demands: This position is located in
professional office environment. Qualifications: Minimum:
- Bachelor's degree in business, education, social services or
- Two years of supervisory experience, including multi-level
- Two years experience of program development, grant writing,
administration and/or budget management.
- Two years of procurement administration.
- One year experience working with Native Americans or Native
- Knowledge and understanding of Public Law 93-638: Indian
Self-Determination Act, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and OMB
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Valid driver's license and be insurable.
- Successfully pass drug and alcohol testing, motor vehicle,
education, character, and criminal background checks.
- Able and willing to travel. Preferred:
- Masters' degree in business, education, social services or
- Two or more years' experience in Tribal administration.
- Two or more years' experience in developing and maintaining
inter-governmental relationships and agreements when deemed
- Familiarity with grant websites: Grants.gov, CFR,
GrantSolutions.com, TEAM, etc. Preference will be given to Ponca
Tribe of Nebraska members or members of a federally recognized
tribe. However, all qualified individuals are eligible. The Ponca
Tribe of Nebraska is an at-will employer. Tribal Council Approval :
06/23/2018, rev. 10/12/2021 Apply Now * Fields Are Required What is
your full name? First Name How can we contact you? Email Phone
Number Number Type What is your preferred method of
Keywords: Ponca Tribe of Nebraska, Sioux City , Executive Director of Tribal Affairs, Executive , Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!