Substation Electrical Engineering Supervisor (Relocation Offered)
Company: Black Hills Energy
Location: Sioux City
Posted on: November 9, 2019
Job SpecificationsThis important role will supervise engineers and
technicians in the planning, design, construction, and maintenance
of utility transmission and distribution substation facilities.
Create specifications and design details for substation layout,
foundation plans, equipment arrangements, and electrical
construction. Oversee and manage the creation and documentation of
utility drawings and design files, and direct personnel in their
assignments and responsibilities. Lead and support other engineers
and technicians in the safe and reliable engineering of utility
projects and processes.SALARY RANGE: $82,100 - $114,110 (Determined
by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)REPORTING
RELATIONSHIP: Manager of Substation and Protection
EngineeringLOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota: You'll find that it
is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With
hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands
National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to
- Rapid City - Hidden Gem of the West:
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce:
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position!
Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip,
transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses,
destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move,
transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase
assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new
purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our
benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing,
renter's lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale
closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance.
Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may
vary based on position.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and supervise the work of assigned direct reports such
as engineers and engineering (CAD) technicians
- Engineer and design substation layouts and equipment
- Create detailed foundation plans, material lists, and
construction arrangement drawings.
- Design substation control systems, wiring diagrams, and cable
- Manage electrical construction projects including contractor
site work, major equipment installation, and substation maintenance
- Lead planning, design, project management and oversight
activities of assigned transmission and distribution capital
- Develop and coordinate equipment standards and maintenance
- Plan, budget, direct, forecast and execute assigned capital and
Operations & Maintenance (O&M) budgets.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and supervisory support to
assigned engineering and technical staff in their efforts to meet
Company and department goals.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial
tracking activities.ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of
the department and company.
- Create and document regulatory compliance requirements and
- Responsible for identifying and implementing continuous
- Provide leadership and engineering support as needed during
outages and emergencies.
- Requires travel within the utility service territory and for
support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform and supervise work on or in close proximity to
energized electrical facilities.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering required.
- Power System emphasis preferred.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) registration or the ability to
become registered preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of engineering experience required.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in electric utilities
- Prior supervisory or project leadership experience
- Good working knowledge of the design and construction of
electric utility transmission and distribution substations.
- Experience in construction management and project
- Strong leadership, financial and technical skills.
- Ability to lead and participate in cross-functional teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work
effectively in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft
Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, and Power Point).
- Ability to learn and maintain proficiency with new systems and
software as technology evolves.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage
multiple projects concurrently within scope, budget and
- Ability to coordinate and direct the work of engineers, program
managers, technicians, and consulting engineers on assigned
- Proficiency in reading electrical one-lines, control drawings
and schematics.MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING
CONDITIONS:The mental and physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.Mental
Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or
written instructions or other information, and communicate routine
factual information. Ability to make decisions which have low to
moderate impact on immediate department. While performing the
duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more)
required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close
visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach,
push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower
items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate
routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment.
Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8
hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be
capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.Specific
lifting abilities required by this job include: Medium work.
Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 25
pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force
constantly to move objects.Work environment: Must be able to
routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work
area with moderate noise level, and occasionally outdoors in
sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards
including variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to
moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current,
working in places of height, or close quarters. Must be capable of
up to 15% travel (e.g. 3.5 days/month) by automobile (as driver and
passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public
transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel
will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the
employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented
utility company that is devoted to our communities. Our diverse
culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and
possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a
vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in Rapid City,
South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million
natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states
(South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas,
and Arkansas).Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual
incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company
retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off,
additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid
holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and
long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health
and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision
insurance.Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug
screen and background check. This description is not intended to be
an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements
for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change
periodically.Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for
work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in
the US.We are an EEO Employer.
Keywords: Black Hills Energy, Sioux City , Substation Electrical Engineering Supervisor (Relocation Offered), Engineering , Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!