Lead Fleet Maintenance Technician
Company: First Student
Location: South Sioux City
Posted on: April 10, 2021
First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in
North America, is looking for an experienced technician for our
maintenance shop in South Sioux City, NE. The Lead Mechanic
supervises employees who maintain, repair and service all vehicles
and equipment. This position assigns vehicles and maintains records
of use, mileage, maintenance, repairs and service. The
Technician-In-Charge coordinates the day-to-day shop operations and
assigns, monitors and reviews progress and accuracy of technician
work. Inspects and reviews the results of maintenance and repair
works, monitors repairs and performs vehicle audits to ensure
technicians adhere to safety, regulatory and appearance standards.
Reviews any equipment failures and replacements to identify trends
and monitor key expenses. First Student (a division of FirstGroup
America) is a leading provider of school transportation services.
We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with
school districts to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective
transportation for five million students per school day. We employ
more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
First Student is proud to offer:
- Top hourly wages based on experience and qualifications + ASE
Certifications earn you bonus money!
- Monday-Friday full time shift schedule
- Consistent year-round work
- Excellent benefits package with paid holidays & vacation,
medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Ongoing training
- Opportunities for advancement nationwide
- A great work environment! Technician-In-Charge Major
- Schedule and administer fleet maintenance, assisting in
troubleshooting complex problems with equipment. Oversee repair
diagnostics complex matters and provide coaching to staff.
- Road test vehicles to determine necessary repairs.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of all vehicle components including
engine, emissions systems, transmission, brake, hydraulic,
electrical systems, chassis, vehicle body control systems, and
heating and air conditioning systems to effectively diagnose and
perform advanced preventive maintenance and repair functions.
- Supervise technicians in maintenance shop, conducting daily
shop huddles; fleet walks; coaching/counseling/training all
technician levels on performance/corrective action. Ensure that all
repairs and maintenance are performed in a safe, efficient and
- Make hiring/termination decisions in concert with Location
Management and/or Human Resources; conduct employee training and
performance evaluations; evaluate and make recommendations for
merit increase, promotion and job changes, as appropriate.
- Oversee maintenance shop inventory to ensure necessary
equipment and parts levels are maintained and purchases are within
budget. Review and approve expenses that are within scope of
approval level; refer larger expenses or major repairs to manager
- Conduct Quality Control Inspections, track issues and
resolution to ensure all work is properly completed in accordance
with Company's safety and compliance procedures and federal and
- Communicate availability of vehicles for service with dispatch,
maintenance manager and other operations personnel.
- Work closely with Location Manager and/or Maintenance Manger
providing status of maintenance and budget requirements.
- Monitor operational performance and efficiency and take action
to redirect activities appropriately.
- Order parts and subcontract repair work. May supervise vehicle
fueling and arrange services for building and groundskeeping.
- Perform hands on work activities as required, including
assisting technicians with labor work.
- Complete special projects as assigned. Technician-In-Charge
- High school diploma or GED equivalent preferred; vocational or
technical certification in vehicle repair preferred.
- Valid driver's license required; Must be able to obtain Class B
CDL with passenger endorsement within 3 months of hire.
- State inspection license (may be required).
- ASE Certification preferred. Must participate in ASE testing
program (expected to have Master Ascent within 6 months of
- Advanced mechanical aptitude and 3+ years of automotive or
diesel repair experience required
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience in a lead technician
role, supervisory or other management role requiring thorough
knowledge of safe working practices, DOT, OSHA and other federal
and state regulations.
- Possess adequate mechanic tool inventory to complete all
- Solid aptitude in planning and scheduling maintenance
- Strong experience with computers, web-based applications, and
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Builds labor relations with unionized employees (if applicable)
and addresses and resolves requests and situations.
- Be subject to a drug test. Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also
committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates
applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California,
FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San
Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance
Keywords: First Student, Sioux City , Lead Fleet Maintenance Technician, Engineering , South Sioux City, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!